Why Should We Set Goals?
• Goals give you long term vision.
• They give you short term motivation.
• Goals give you focus.
• They give you a target to measure against.
• They set a finite end-point.
• They hold you to a time frame.
Why must our goals must be S.M.A.R.T?
S – Goals must be Specific – if you don’t know where you are going, how will you ever get there? There must be a known end point.
M – Goals must be Measurable – the end point MUST be measurable, if it’s not, how will you know when you have reached it?
A – Goals must be Achievable – goals can be difficult and stretch you (consider a BHAG – Big Hairy Audacious Goal) , but they must still be realistic AND achievable, if they’re not you are setting yourself up to fail. – Don’t go there!
R – Goals are Results driven – you need to know where you are at, towards achieving your goals – the only way to do this is by measuring results against expectations. All steps measure outcomes – not activities.
T – Goals must conform to a Time frame – this creates a sense of urgency and motivation to perform.
How can you make sure you achieve your goals? •By choosing a “GOAL BUDDY”. •Your goal buddy is your support to help you achieve your goals, your buddy’s job is to hold you accountable for the actions you have said you are going to take, and to help you keep on track if you start slipping. •You will be doing the same for them.
Goal Buddies Activity:
• Book a 1-2-1 with your Goal Buddy
• Discuss and record your 2021 personal and business goals.
• Include completion dates.
• Discuss how you’ll help each other achieve them.
• Set dates for your next 1-2-1 (once a month?)
• Present each other’s goals (non confidential goals) to the chapter.
• Work with your Goal Buddy for the next 12 months.